Sunday, June 7, 2020

Josephine Peak, Angeles National Forest, CA (Forest Service Road 2N64)

First time I'm blogging an Angeles National Forest hike in nearly two years! I don't know if this means I really haven't been in here in that long, or if I just never managed anything worth blogging about. Hard to believe I didn't even take any waterfall hikes last spring.

Josephine Peak is ground I've covered before. Looks like I blogged this trail in 2015 and 2016. Definitely clearer weather, then!
Both previous times, I ran into relatively few hikers. Also, I knew the "trail" is a fire road, wide enough for a pick-up truck, at least. Seemed like a good "social distancing" hike. Also, it was overcast down in the Valley, and I had this idea that this hike would let me walk above the clouds and enjoy the sunshine.

I hit the trail late morning. Most people look to have started earlier, as several large groups and numerous smaller ones were heading down as I headed up. Most (but definitely not all) wore facial coverings, at least when they approached. This was less true the later it got.

I asked one couple heading down if the trail took them above the clouds, and was slightly disappointed to learn that it did not.
With the misting rain, it was somewhat cool, although I was wearing shorts and a sweater. But I didn't actually get wet, and, as I kept moving, I did not feel cold, and I knew I wouldn't be out long enough and would move fast enough to stay warm.

Ridiculous amounts of (invasive) Spanish broom were in bloom. Very fragrant. The clouds made for some interesting views of the obscured mountains and trees.

Being my first significant hike in several months, I felt pretty tired by the time I reached the top. Very fast coming down, though.

It's about 7.5 miles round trip, and about 1900 feet of elevation gain. Pretty easy to keep on the right track. The only semi-possible way to get lost would be to turn off the road and head towards Strawberry Peak, and that trail, while far from hidden, is not nearly as prominent as the fire road.

No comments:

Post a Comment