Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Strikeout

I headed out towards Whitewater this morning, intending to hike to the San Gorgonio overlook. However, somewhere around Montclair, i realized I forgot my camera. So I turned around at the 210 freeway, with the intent of hiking Claremont Wilderness Park. I'd been to that trailhead before, but never hiked up it.

Turns out that park is closed. So I just did a lot of driving.

One interesting part was right after I got on the 210, where it heads north before curving to the west. The hills above Highland were a mixture of green hill tops and deeply carved, bare ravines. I could see where all the mud that hit Highland last week came from.

The hills above Highland burned recently. I don't know if it was 2008 or 2007. Apparently, in past years, the county and the San Manuel Indian tribe placed K-rails along the foothill streets. I think they did not do it as extensively this year, perhaps falsely thinking that, since the hills had survived the past few years, there was no need to deploy K-rails this year. That's just what I've heard on the news, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment