Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hike 2012.055 -- Eaton Canyon Falls

Hiked Thursday, August 9.

Apparently, Eaton Canyon Park closes earlier now than it used to. I arrived late, just around 7pm, at which point two L.A. County Sheriff's Department patrol cars blocked entrance to the parking lot. It was locked by the time I walked back. Still figured walking would be fine, and I knew I had just about an hour of daylight, which should be enough for the 3-4 miles round trip from the nature center to the waterfall and back.

There were surprisingly few people as I walked down, however, so I worried for a moment that maybe they really were serious about the park closing at 7pm as opposed to "dusk." However, after about ten minutes walking, I passed several people coming out. A few warned me that a young cougar had been spotted in the area earlier. Hiking alone, I that meant I had to be a little more vigilant than normal. That also meant I felt pretty stupid stumbling back out of the park well after 8:30pm.

When I got to the waterfall, it was past sunset. The narrow canyon walls make the area appear even darker. I squeezed off several shots, bracing myself on rocks or with my camera bag on top of rocks. Exposure times of up to 2 seconds resulted.

A couple of hikers were there before me, and two more arrived as I started shooting my carefully-secured camera. Didn't want to relocate it and try to get the balance, again, so I kept shooting. Tried a couple of camera settings. I think the last one pretty accurately reflects the brightness (or lack thereof) as I finished my shooting.

Made my way back, walked slowly and tried to "look big" as I returned to my car. Too dark to tell; if the cougar was sitting down just off the trail, I wouldn't have seen him. I so I kept my camera and car keys handing to try to stab him, in the unlikely event that I was attacked. I was not, of course.

Roundtrip distance on this hike I usually give as 3 miles, but I'm thinking it's actually a little further than that from the nature center. Also, I actually parked on the street and had to walk several hundred yards just to get to the nature center, so I'll call it 4 miles for the day. Water's pretty low, but I'm not sure if that's the lowest I've ever seen it. Even inside of the mouth of the canyon, a good part of the wash is dry.

2 comments:

  1. What a wimpy waterfall :)

    I suppose that I went to Eaton Canyon at the right time. To this day, I still post the picture on my home page. Cool spot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there when it was roaring like Lower Yosemite Falls, and been there when the water was so high I couldn't even make it up the canyon. It's a wash, in the desert sense of the word. Sometimes dry, sometimes flooding. Always close to my home. ;D

    ReplyDelete