Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hike 2013.006 -- Hellman Trail and Peppergrass Trail, Puente Hills Landfill Native Habitat Authority


Hiked Tuesday, February 5. Last of my "ancient" hikes, from when I fell far behind in my write-ups. After this one, the only other one not written up is just from yesterday (as I write this). Since it's a hike I've written up many times and have fallen so far behind, I'll keep the write-up really short.

Just a short hike, a bit over three miles, which I've done many times before. At the time, I was thinking that this would be the first of many after-work hikes--short enough and close enough to my work to fit in between clock-out and twilight. However, the combination of weather, travel plans, and other obligations have made this my only foray of the year into the Puente Hills. I still think I'll be making these hills a part of my spring hiking regimen, but it hasn't worked out that way, so far.

The only variation over my previous two hikes is (in February 2012 and November 2012) is that I did this day's hike in a clockwise direction.

I hiked from Hellman Wilderness Park, which is on Greenleaf, just a block north of Beverly. You can either take Beverly east from the San Gabriel River Freeway (I-605) or Greenleaf north out of Whittier. BTW, if you're further south, near Cerritos or Norwalk, Shoemaker Avenue turns into Greenleaf. If you're coming from the northeast, near Hacienda Heights, Turnbull Canyon Road turns into Beverly.

It's a nice loop, with pretty good climbs no matter which way you take it (but it seems steeper if you go clockwise rather than counter-clockwise).

It was an overcast afternoon. The sun only semi-broke through as it set in the southeast.

Just over three miles on the loop, with the detour up the top of the peak near the midway point.

No comments:

Post a Comment