Friday, February 25, 2022

Bowl of Fire, Lake Mead NRA, NV

Hiked on Sunday, February 20. This was Presidents Day weekend. I drove up on a Saturday, and goofed around some with my cell phone. Those are the last two shots of this post.
Parked at Hole 29 and stuck my cell phone (Samsung S21) on a tripod. Used Pro mode to take 30 second exposures at ISO 800. Decent results, if you view it on a cell phone. If you zoom in, things are pretty grainy, though.
Sunday morning, I had chores to do, and didn't go hiking until the afternoon. Still got a good bit of walking in, enough to hit my step target.
Parked the same place as for this hike. That was from just under a year ago.
Funny thing is, if you download the Alltrails route, then just want to wander, it keeps sending you a notification to check to see if you've lost the route.
But I wanted to wander, to see different areas from last time. I think I could do a number of more wandering trips in the area. It's not very large, but there are lots of protrusions to separate the Bowl of Fire into smaller chunks.
It's a great place to wander. Lots of narrow fins of sandstone to see. Small arches. Overhanging rocks. Very cool.
There are some slot canyons among the sandstone. I leaned over the edge and snapped a picture down into one small tank. Used my voice-activation on the shutter.
Helpful if you don't want to risk fumbling your phone while holding it over a big drop!
Hadn't realized that Samsung has had that feature on a lot of their phones for quite some time.
I used the same feature when I had the phone on my tripod. That let me take photos without inducing any vibrations.
First night sky shot is looking north, with the Big Dipper and Cassiopia on either side of Polaris. The second is a tighter shot, with Orion to the left and the Pleiades to the right. Fun toy, but obviously not as shart as a dslr. Some Lightroom for mobile processing, to darken the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment