Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hike 104: Henninger Flats

Hiked Sunday, November 28.

Yeah, nothing new. But I had a friend visiting from out of town and we decided to meet someplace we both knew to take a little post-Thanksgiving hike.

The air was brisk, blowing like it often does in Autumn. That meant the skies were incredibly clear. Santa Catalina Island was easily visible, some 40 or 50 miles away. I could see ships out in the ocean. Closer to the mountains, I could see a bit of unnatural fall color among the trees along the streets and in the yards of Altadena and Pasadena. People were out walking their dogs and riding their bikes, or just walking. It was a good day to be out and about in southern California.



3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I love those days. Seems you can count them on one hand sometimes. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was okay, except I ate too much. :D

    I forgot to note in the post above that my camera batteries were nearly dead, so I couldn't use the zoom. That meant lots of wide-angle shots, which I then cropped to give a more accurate impression of what I could see.

    The human eye has the ability to handle a wide range of brightness and contrast that cameras can't handle, yet. Also, even though we can't literally zoom our eyes, we can focus attention on portions of the big picture. The best way to simulated that focus is to use zoom. Since I couldn't do that, I did a lot of cropping of wide-angle shots.

    There was also a pair of red-tailed hawks that I couldn't photograph. I really want to get a camera with better telephoto capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on that one. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Panasonic Lumix lately, I guess it's a good camera for outdoor use. I havn't looked into costs or anything, but I'll probably be searching for a new camera soon as well.

    ReplyDelete